Thursday, October 22, 2009

Recipe Spotlight: Greek Flatbread Pizza

Last night I threw together an unexpected dinner. Kevin was traveling so I was cooking for one, and I didn't have much food on hand. I did not want to go grocery shopping, so I decided to raid the fridge and make the most of it. It turned into a fantastic meal! I had Archer Farms Garlic Naan (from Target) in the freezer, and it made a perfect pizza crust. Naan is an Indian flatbread, and Target's version is also phenomenal simply warmed up and served with extra virgin olive oil or dipped in hearty soups. I simply topped the flatbread with ingredients I had on hand- tomato sauce, onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta cheese- and before I knew it I had a hot and delicious flatbread pizza with unique Greek flavors! (It was so yummy I used a second piece of naan and had two- shhhh!) Enjoy this recipe, the ingredients are easily kept on hand and it is sure to impress your spouse, company, or just yourself!


Greek Flatbread Pizza 
Chewy sundried tomatoes, salty kalamata olives and tangy feta cheese make this an unforgettable meal!
Serves 1

One piece garlic naan (or your favorite single-serve flatbread or pizza crust)
3 tblsp. tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
5 kalamata olives, halved
5 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled
Black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil, optional
Parmesan Cheese, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread tomato sauce on flatbread and season with oregano. Top with garlic, onion, olives, sundried tomatoes and feta cheese. Bake from 10-12 minutes until flatbread is lightly browned and toppings are warm. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and top with freshly grated Paremsan cheese and a few grinds of cracked black pepper. Slice and serve.

Wine of the Night: Venta Morales Tempranillo
And just because I was eating alone does not mean I went without wine! I enjoyed a glass of Venta Morales Tempranillo from Castilla- La Mancha Spain with my dinner. It is medium-bodied, slightly sweet, and smooth with a sharp finish that complements the tangy feta. It's also a steal, at $6-8 a bottle. I definitely recommend this wine with a variety of foods except spicy foods, as it cannot stand up to the heat in spicy dishes. Wine Advocate gives it an 88 and calls it a phenomenal value that over-delivers with fragrant black cherry aromas, ripe, round, savory fruit on the palate, and excellent depth and length.


No comments:

Post a Comment