Monday, January 25, 2010

Chicken Pesto Pizza

I love pizza, and while I'll occasionally go for take-out varieties, it's one of my favorite meals to make at home. It's fun to be able to choose my toppings, add extra sauce, use my favorite cheeses, and know that it is so much healthier than the pizzeria stuff. And it is so easy to keep the ingredients on hand and combine them in different ways to produce interesting new meals. I usually opt for red-sauce varieties, but I recently decided to try something different and used pesto as my sauce. What's not to love about pesto? Basil, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts, it's perfect on so many things! (Pasta! Sandwiches! Bruschetta! Chicken! Meatballs! I could go on!) Turns out, pesto is also fabulous on pizzas. I couldn't get away from my red sauce entirely, though, and so I used it as a dip. Heaven! Perfect for a weeknight in front of the TV with your honey, favorite shows and a bottle of white, a weeknight never looked so good!




Chicken Pesto Pizza
Tender chicken and fresh vegetables freshen up a classic pizza crust- YUM!

1 large premade pizza crust, such as Boboli
1/2 c. premade pesto
1 chicken breast, cooked and diced
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c. red onion, diced
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Black pepper
Pizza sauce, optional, for dipping

Preheat oven according to directions on pizza crust package. Spread pesto evenly over crust. Top with onions and mozzarella cheese. Add chicken, tomatoes and freshly ground black pepper. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake according to package directions. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment