Monday, October 5, 2009

A food lover's paradise: New Orleans (Post #1)

This past weekend I went to New Orleans for my dear friend Sandy's bachelorette party. It was a wonderful weekend filled with amazing friends, warm weather, interesting site-seeing and, of course, fabulous food! Today's blog is a tour of some of the best food in America that my friends and I enjoyed over the weekend. New Orleans is a jewel of a city with a one-of-a-kind food culture and I feel blessed to have lived there for a year and a half. I will always go back to visit and enjoy the cuisine- there is nothing better!

I have so many wonderful food pictures to share of my trip that I will post a blog highlighting a restaurant everyday this week so that you can fully appreciate the cuisine.

Up First: Jacque-Imo's Cafe (Thursday Night)


There is no better way to begin a New Orleans weekend than at Jacque-Imo's Cafe. J-Mo's is my favorite restaurant. Period. Check out the pictures below to see why!





















The meal begins with melt-in-your mouth cornbread infused with butter and garlic and topped with scallions. Try not to fill up on the "bread" we are just getting started!











Appetizer #1 was Jacque-Imo's classic Alligator Sausage and Shrimp Cheesecake. Sounds weird I know, but with the spicy cream sauce it is so tasty! Alligator is an odd delicacy, it's rather chewy and dense, but the flavor is mild and, since it's smothered in sauce, it's quite tasty!







Appetizer #2 was crabmeat stuffed shrimp. These suckers are huge and are oozing with creamy crab meat. Dipped in the spicy cream sauce they are a delicious starter!













My entree was Eggplant Pirogue. It's a fried eggplant topped with mixed seafood and smothered in a fabulous cream sauce. Sinfully delicious. Entrees at Jacque-Imo's are served with a fried oyster and spinach salad and two sides. My favorite sides are the mashed sweet potatoes and corn maque choux. Perfect complements!













Mitchell enjoyed the Stuffed Pork Chop. This mighty piece of meat was stuffed with ground beef and shrimp and smothered in mushrooms and gravy. A manly meal that even my daintiest female friends have been known to conquer. Once you start you just can't stop!












Jason enjoyed the Crabmeat Stuffed Catfish. These delicate pieces of fish are sauteed in Cajun spices and served atop a bed of fresh crabmeat. Then, of course, they are smothered in a cream sauce! This is one of the best things on the menu. It literally melts in your mouth- no chewing required!





Jenny enjoyed the Pan Fried Venison. The meat was served with a creamy mushroom sauce and was delicious. I'd never had venison before, and Jacque-Imo's sure did make it tasty!







I always like to try something new when I come to Jacque-Imo's, but the one thing I get every time is one of the most delicious cocktails ever invented- Watermelon Mojitos! Fresh chunks of watermelon are mixed with fresh mint and plenty of dark rum for a refreshingly potent cocktail that satisfies every time!







The group- Mitchell, me, Sandy, Jenny and Jason- after the delicious meal. What's next? Bedtime!





No comments:

Post a Comment