Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mushroom Risotto with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Red Peppers

A couple weeks ago my friend Emily taught me how to make risotto. I had tried to make it once before and failed miserably. After learning from Emily I realized that was because I was impatient and hungry when making it, causing me to rush through the process without allowing the risotto to become fully cooked and creamy. This time around I took my sweet time, and the risotto was one of the best things I've ever tasted from my own kitchen. In fact, my husband said it was the best meal I've EVER made! (It didn't hurt that I served him lamb chops with his, either.) Here is my recipe for this incredible, decadent and melt-in-your-mouth risotto. Don't make it if you're rushed for time or too hungry to be patient. It takes about 35 minutes start-to-finish and a lot of stirring, but I tell you now, it is worth it!


Mushroom Risotto with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Red Peppers
A decadent and delicious pasta dish- feel free to substitute your favorite ingredients for the veggies!
Serves 2-3

1 cup arborio rice
2/3 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
3 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 8 oz. package sliced assorted mushrooms
1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced
1 large shallot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 T. parsley or basil, chopped
Salt & pepper

Heat the chicken broth in a saucepan over medium-low heat.

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 2 minutes, then add the red peppers and garlic. Saute until soft and fragrant. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes until browned. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove the veggies into a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.

Heat the butter until melted then add the rice. Stir for a minute to coat in the butter, then add half of the wine (1/3 cup). Stir until it is absorbed into the risotto, then start adding the  warm chicken broth 1/3 of a cup at a time, stirring frequently until absorbed into the risotto, about 3-4 minutes. Continue to add the chicken broth and stir until the risotto is creamy and tender. This takes about 25-30 minutes. You can always add more chicken broth to achieve the desired tenderness.

Once the risotto is tender add the Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/3 cup of wine and stir to combine, then add in all of the reserved veggies and parsley or basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Recipe by Sarah Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment