Monday, November 7, 2011

Smokey Southwest Cheddar Burgers

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but as a true midwestern girl I occasionally love a good burger. When I treat myself to a big juicy burger it needs to be delicious and unique, so I love to make burgers at home where I can control the quality of ingredients. This burger is right up my alley- it's loaded with delicious toppings! The smoked cheddar melts and adds a ton of smokey flavor, the avocado is creamy and fresh, and the Tabasco mayo is slightly spicy with a smooth Southwest flavor.



Smokey Southwest Cheddar Burgers

Layers of flavor and spice take this burger to another level!

Burgers:
Hamburger patties
Grill seasoning (or salt and pepper)
Smoked cheddar cheese
Sliced avocado
Sliced tomato
Sliced onion
Cooked bacon slices, optional
Hamburger buns, I prefer whole wheat

Tabasco Mayo (serves 6):
4 T. mayonnaise
1 T. ketchup
2 tsp. Tabasco sauce (more or less depending on your spice tolerance)
Dash Worcestershire sauce

Sprinkle burgers with grill seasoning. Heat a grill or skillet and cook the burgers to your liking, about 4-6 minutes per side depending on thickness. During last minute of cooking add a slice of smoked cheddar cheese to each burger. Toast the buns.

Place the burger patty on the bottom bun. Lay the avocado slices on top of the burger, then top with the onion and tomato. Add a slice of bacon if you wish. Spread a generous amount of Tabasco mayo on the top bun. Close the burger, press gently, and enjoy!

Recipe by Sarah Lang

1 comment: